The street takes its name from the ancient defensive walls of the XII century and still follows its winding course. It is in the medieval part of the town, with concentric streets around the Cathedral.
From Largo degli Erri (on via Emilia°°), there is an unforgettable view of the Ghirlandina, along vicolo Coccapani and via Sant’Eufemia.
Then follows a number of historic palaces. At number 39, one of the many examples of the street numbers wanted by the Duke Ercole III in the XVIII century (the letter of the area was E); on the right, the symbol IHS 1855, commemorating the terrible cholera of that year.
At number 60, the Renaissance Palazzo Ferrari Moreni, with a marble portico of five arches. On its left, at 62, palazzo Montecuccoli Laderchi is of the XVII century.
In the house at number 57, Giulio Malmusi, a diplomat and minister of the King of Italy, died in 1909. On the left, via de’ Correggi, with an entrance to the old Santa Chiara barracks. On the opposite side, vicolo dell’Eremita leads to via Sant’Agostino.
At number 59, another entrance to the caserma Santa Chiara. Built where an ancient monastery of the Clarisse once stood, the edifice was rebuilt in 1839 for the Jesuits and then transformed into barracks. Bombings in 1944 destroyed one side of the palace.
Further along, two brick built palazzi: at number 76 casa Castelvetro (1538) houses the bust of the man of letters Ludovico in the corner; at 78 palazzo Ghisellini or dei Buoi or commonly known as palazzo Sertorio (belonging to the family from 1512, but built in the previous century) in a Ferrarese style, with a frieze in terra cotte.
Via degli Adelardi leads to the church of San Barnaba°°. At the end, near the square dominated by the church of San Francesco°, at number 96 the elegant palazzo Bassoli was designed in 1885 by Vincenzo Maestri.