The square was opened out in the first years of the XX century, by clearing away the run down houses from the site. It is dominated by Palazzo Tagliazucchi, an edifice of red bricks built in the XVI century, now a bank. Thourgh this palace, at number 29, is the entrance to the ‘bread gallery’ of the wonderful covered market Albinelli°° (the other entrances are in via Mondatora and in via Albinelli).
Once, in the centre of the square a monumental fountain stood. Nowadays only a sprinkling of water flows from a ‘fontanella’, by the famous Modenese sculptor Giuseppe Graziosi (1931).
After the stalls of the non food market moved to another site, near the bus station, cultural events, shows and markets often take place here.