Largo Garibaldi is the biggest of the squares in Modena. It is also united with a nice little square called Piazza XXIX September, so called from the name of probably one of the most famous songs in Italy, written by the beat Modenese generation.
Here the church of San Giovanni Evangelista once stood, where in 1550 the well-known Modenese composer of madrigals Orazio Vecchi was baptized. On the opposite side, Palazzo Vaccari dates back to the 1920s.
After the viali di circonvallazione°, along the ancient walls of the town, Largo Garibaldi opens out to become the access to the city from the direction of Bologna. Two statues of Garibaldi’s men were placed here in the XIX century (nowadays they stands behind the church of San Pietro°°), as well as the statue of the first King of Italy, Vittorio Emanuele II (now in largo del Risorgimento).
On the right, the graceful Storchi Theatre (behind it, the huge “Parco delle Mura”) is next to the house (number 11) where Enzo Ferrari lived. In the centre, the monumental Two Rivers Fountain, by Giuseppe Graziosi (in 1938): he desired to evoke the particular fertile position of Modena, between the Secchia and the Panàro rivers.
On the left, the yellow fascist style house was once the luxurious Albergo Reale. From the square there is a wonderful view of the Ghirlandina and of the church of San Biagio°°.