The ‘Foro Boario’ (that is an old name to indicate the cattle market) is 250 metres long and is one of the greatest example of its genre in Italy. It was built thanks to Duke Francesco IV, who awarded the commission to the architect Francesco Vandelli in 1833. Even if, for the dimensions of the Modenese agricultural economy, the “palace” seemed rathen small, here the commerce of cattle has gone on for decades.
Worth noting is the central area, where three arcades hide a clock on the ceiling, projected by Ludovico Gavioli. The subjects of the high-reliefs by Righi and Frugoni are pastoral. The plaque celebrates the inauguration by the Duke.
Nowadays the edifice is the seat of the School of Economics, dedicated to the expert in labour law Marco Biagi, killed in Bologna in 2002 by the Red Brigade.
Not to be missed is the view from the archeological park Novi Ark. The huge area was the Piazza d’Armi (the place where soldiers paraded and practiced), nearby the fortified Cittadella. There was also a Rotonda, a sort of little round temple with columns, built in the middle (a nice place for a smart stroll) and a race-course occupied the ring. Finally, popular events were held here, like the concert Pavarotti and friends.