The church was built according to the project of the famous architect Gaspare Vigarani in the middle of the 17th century, although the beautiful baroque facade is due to Antonio Loraghi. The statues on it, by A. and T. Lazzoni, represent Liberty and Faith on the portal; Saint Gregory and Saint George in the niches; King David, Saint Joseph and the Virgin at the top.
The interior, under the dome, forms a Greek cross and is notable for the Corinthian pillars and the huge women’s galleries, which give the complex a very rich appearance.
The church was in fact one of the most appreciated by visitors in past times.
On the right, Annuncio dell’Angelo a Giuseppe by Antonio Consetti (1751); on the high altar, work by Loraghi, Madonna ausiliatrice by Pietro Paolo dell’Abate (1617), declared miracolous in 1651. On the left, in a deliciously painted little chapel, is a wooden Crucified of the 15th century.